Easy Breakfast Egg Muffins


Today is the start of my Sleek Geek Challenge. "What, another weight-loss /  food challenge?" I may hear you say. To which the answer is "yes". I will gladly try any way of eating in order to feel and look the way I want - with Atkins and vegan already checked off the list, I thought this would be a good opportunity to jump on the banting bandwagon and commit to 8 weeks of clean eating and see what it does for me. The goal is to lose 10kg in the next 8 weeks - I know this means hard work - and I'm up for it. PS there's nothing like the motivation of seeing the 'before' photographs you have to submit to Sleek Geek to get you to pay attention to what you're doing to your body. Mine is evidently very unhappy.

So, what will I be doing? I'll be eating better - no sugar, grains, carbs and starches - and limiting alcohol. I'll try to eat the good things - meat, vegetables, dairy and fruit - with a few nuts and seeds thrown in. I'm not going to be a food Nazi - but will try to run in the opposite direction when I get a whiff of sugar. 

Speaking of running - with our Gun Run 10km this coming Sunday, I'm loving running more each time we head out the door. If the Gun Run doesn't break / mortally wound me, I'm playing with the idea of joining a running club and training for the Two Oceans Half Marathon next year. A little crazy, a little exciting.

I'm trying to get at least three options for each meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) that I really enjoy. We've been having smoothies for breakfast for almost a month and really enjoying them - but these egg muffins make for a great alternative, when I actually feel like chewing something in the morning. Ridiculously simple to make - make a batch on Sunday night to keep you going for most of the week. Don't feel limited by the ingredients I've listed - peppers, spinach and onions or whatever you find in your vegetable drawer - will likely work.

Makes approximately 6
Ingredients:
5 eggs
1/4 cup cream
100g mushrooms, sliced and fried
100g bacon, sliced and fried
2 spring onions, finely sliced
small handful cheddar
salt and pepper to taste

(to make these paleo-friendly, omit the milk and cheese)

Method:
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C. Mix the bacon, mushrooms and spring onion and divide this equally between 6 muffin cups. In a bowl, combined the eggs, cream, salt and pepper, and pour into each muffin cup, until almost at the top. Sprinkle a little cheddar on each 'muffin'. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until the egg is set. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.

All images taken with a Canon EOS 600D from Loot.co.za

1 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to be trying these! As soon as we have an oven again - it has been broken for almost three months :( The part is apparently *still* on its way.

    ReplyDelete

 

Meet the author

Google analytics

On Twitter : @AGorgeousLifeSA

On Instagram : @agorgeouslife