#notabeautyblogger


I think the title of this post says it all, really. I'm not a beauty blogger. But - I do like to try and look half-decent. During a recent beauty haul from Spree, I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts with you - all products I've paid for and tried.

I love shopping online - and have found it particularly convenient for beauty products. Often when you go to the shop for a particular brand or product - they are out of stock - and I absolutely hate traipsing around a shopping centre trying to find the one mascara they don't have. This way you get to buy your favourites and have them delivered to your door. For free. So, here are my ramblings on things I use to try and make me look pretty :


I'm a fairly new convert to liquid eyeliners - moving on from pencil eariler this year. While the perfect cat-eye still eludes me, I do like the definition and the staying power that liquid eyeliner promises (although, I've recently discovered - doesn't always deliver). Max Factor says :

"With the smoothness of liquid eye liner with the precision of a pencil for a stylish bold look that lasts all day. The pen shaped applicator and tapered tip gives you precise definition and the formula dries fast and resists smudging." 

And, yes - the firm, felt-tipped pen does apply easily, and I'm thrilled to report that it does last all day - not a smudge in site. I'm still after that jet-black-inkiness - which this doesn't quite deliver - but I suppose it's my own fault at not being brave enough to buy MAC's Fluidline

Verdict: 7 / 10
I love the staying power, but wish it was inkier and blacker. Not as dramatic as I'd hoped.
With some products, I'm particularly brand loyal - case in point. I've only ever used Maybelline Volum' Express Mascara - the love affair has lasted for over 10 years now. It does what I want and isn't crazy expensive - I see no reason to change what works. This is my firs time using The Rocket (I've used Colossal before). I don't see much difference between the various Volum' Express sub-brands - but they all work. And sometimes, that's all I need from a product - to do what it says it will. Volume, length and blackness. Sorted.
I prefer waterproof mascaras - better staying power, less potential for panda-eyes. Again, a creature of habit. Maybelline will have me as a fan for years to come.

Verdict: 9 / 10
Brilliant. Jet-black with length, volume and staying-power, reasonably priced - fantastic all round.
I struggle with shiny skin and have been searching for a mattifying powder that actually works, for ages (MAC's Prep & Prime left me disappointed). At R60, I rationalised it wasn't much to lose - but sadly, it does very little. I apply it in the morning and by lunch time, there's already shine. I'll keep using it till it's finished - but will now keep it in my handbag for touchups - which is sad. To be fair, they don't make any promises on how long it will last - I'm just ever hopeful. If you know about a mattifying powder that actually lasts all day - please let me know.

Verdict : 5 / 10
Really, dead-average. I find it exactly on par with MAC's offering - so rather spend the R60 than the R320 (!), however, still don't expect it to last past lunch time.

All images and views are my own. All images taken with a Canon EOS 600D from Loot.co.za


1 comments:

  1. Hi Candice, have you asked the girls from All Dolled Up to recommend a powder? Or Luzanne from Pink Peonies? Sure they d be glad to help! Good luck for the Gun Run I know u will do great! I want to do it next year!

    ReplyDelete

 

Meet the author

Google analytics

On Twitter : @AGorgeousLifeSA

On Instagram : @agorgeouslife