Make Your Own Kale Chips


  
As part of my project to start eating healthier, I thought I'd investigate the much-talked-about kale chips. They are currently all over the internet and I wanted to find out if they lived up to their hype, and if they were something I could actually enjoy. Kale is a form of wild cabbage (with no head) but I found it to be quite spinach like too. 
 

It's hardly a recipe - take one head of kale (I used curly - two bunches for R10 from my local Food Lovers' Market) rise, and cut into bite sized pieces. Allow to drain on paper towel, and heat your oven to 180 degrees C. Place the kale on a baking tray in a single layer, drizzle with olive oil and sea salt. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until crunchy and starting to brown at the edges. Rather err on the side of over crunchy than under baked. Allow to cool for a minute before eating.
 
The verdict? I enjoyed them! There was a bit of a cabbage like smell in my kitchen while they were baking, but that disappeared as soon as they were finished baking. They were melt-in-your-mouth crispy. I've since bought more kale to make them again - if you are going to be storing the chips, I suggest using the most air-tight container you can find. From experience, I can tell you that soggy kale chips are not lovely. At all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet the author

Google analytics

On Twitter : @AGorgeousLifeSA

On Instagram : @agorgeouslife