Salted Caramel Popcorn


Following on from this recipe, I realised I've been a little silly. As I'm the popcorn-loving one in the marriage, it's normally just me, a bowl and a bag full of sprinkles. Naturally, it would be my husband (ie the popcorn-hating one) who would put the idea of salted caramel popcorn in my head.

No more simply me and a bag of sprinkles, this was 'occasion' popcorn. I came home from work on Friday with a mission - this was made (and in the process of being devoured) within half an hour of being home. This is good. Actually, too good. I couldn't stop eating it, and soon gave myself tummy ache - yes, my inner four year old won this round.

It's pretty easy to make - you need a little patience for the caramel - but totally worth it. Actually, make an extra batch of caramel and have it on flapjacks or crumpets for a pretty special weekend breakfast. 

Ingredients:
A generous pot of popcorn - approximately 15 heaped cups
For the salted caramel:
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup cream
1 tsp sea salt

Method:
Place the sugar and water in a non-stick saucepan, stir to dissolve. Place over a medium-high heat and swirl occasionally, to ensure even distribution of heat. Allow to bubble - this could take 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of your pot - swirling every minute. As soon as a glimmer of caramel appears, swirl to spread - so the entire pan turns caramel - and remove from the heat. Add the butter, and again, swirl until it is melted and combined- off the heat. Add the cream and salt - you can stir this in. You may need to put it back on the heat for a minute if the cream causes the caramel to solidify.

Place the popcorn on a baking tray - in a single layer if possible - and drizzle over the caramel. Toss and stir until all the popcorn is covered. Allow to 'set' for an hour or so, until the caramel is no longer wet. Or, do as we did - eat immediately, and get tummy ache from eating too much.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet the author

Google analytics

On Twitter : @AGorgeousLifeSA

On Instagram : @agorgeouslife