Everybody's Apple Dessert | Easy Entertaining

  
This is something I've had since I was in junior school. My aunt Shirley used to make it for afternoon tea on a Saturday, and it was also the only time I would drink Five Roses Tea (with milk, two sugar). I hadn't had it in ages, so when the Monthly Mingle for June was announced, I knew this had to be part of it  - this is my apple affection. I tracked down the recipe through my mom and found out that pretty much every family has some version of this recipe - essentially an apple cake / tart / dessert, with a syrup poured over when it comes out the oven - hence this is everybody's apple dessert! Also, it's really simple to make, impossible to get wrong, and is absolutely delicious no matter how you serve it  (I love it hot out the oven, the Lovely Man eats it cold for breakfast).

Next time you are looking for a warm pudding for a chilly winter's evening, give this a try - and feel free to make it your family's apple dessert! This serves 8 reasonably (or 2 for dessert, breakfast and lunch).

Ingredients:
1 large tin pie apples
2 tbsp melted butter
1 cup self-raising flour (or 1 cup cake flour with 1 tsp baking powder)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs

For the syrup:
1 cup cream
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Method:
In a large-ish bowl, cream eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the milk and melted butter, then then flour and mix well. Place your apple slices in an ovenproof dish (I used my new Cassis bakeware from Le Creuset) and pour over batter, wiggling the apples slightly with a wooden spoon to make sure the batter gets between them. Bake at 180 degrees C for about 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.

For the syrup - place cream, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to the boil, until sugar is completely dissolved, and the cream has turned mostly translucent.

When the apple bake has come out the oven, pour the syrup over immediately. I normally poke it with a skewer stick, so the syrup is absorbed everywhere...serve as is, or with cream or ice-cream on the side.

2 comments:

  1. yum! my MIL has a version that uses canned fruit, but I like the apple idea... pity we are grain free...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, I will be trying it out this weekend - have been searching for warm winter desserts for a while now . .

    ReplyDelete

 

Meet the author

Google analytics

On Twitter : @AGorgeousLifeSA

On Instagram : @agorgeouslife